Friday, December 9, 2011

Upcycled Jeans

If you shop at either of our stores, you know that we have some great sales. Wakefield has the coveted $2 bin and Cambridge often has a $5 rack. Both of these sale spots are a great place to find treasures, especially if you're looking for things to upcycle.

What is upcycling? It's using ordinary objects to make something extraordinary. For example, these Diesel jeans that I used are great (REALLY great actually - I can't believe no one snatched them up when we had them in the store!) but I think they're even more fun now that they have an embroidered swallow on the thigh!

So, what I did was use a stencil and some fabric paint to make the bird. Then I embroidered around the edges with embroidery thread. Truth be told, it took much, much longer than I thought it would. There are a lot of little details in that bird design I chose. But it was worth it, I'm very happy with the way they came out.

There are tons of ways to upcycle clothing and changing buttons is probably one of the fastest and easiest. I found a great vintage sweater recently that I loved but it was a little boring. So I just switched the buttons out with some really cute ones that I found at Playtime in Arlington. Other options are adding lace and fancy trim to cuffs or hems, using bows on collars to create a playful feminine look. Craft stores are full of great supplies to upcycle clothing.

Need some inspiration?  Check out this blog post for by Hue and Hum for a cool tutorial.  Try it! We'd love to see what you come up with!

My upcycled jeans are Diesel, size 27 and they're on consignment at the Cambridge store for $60.


No comments:

Post a Comment